A very good friend gave me this t-shirt yesterday.Â She’s had it for awhile and she told me it always makes her think of me.Â Me and my dogs, and the fact that I love paddling in the ocean, this t-shirt is the best.
Dog paddle has a lot of personal meaning to me as well.Â I learned to swim at 32, because I did a small triathlon and found my swim style was actually a dog paddle!Â That certainly changed when I got hooked and ended up doing 9 Ironmans, yet dog paddle still comes around in my life through my own dog Carmella.Â She’s a Weimaraner and learned to swim by slowly getting in with me andÂ jumping in along side my Labrador who is a natural swimmer.Â Carmella’s style: Dog Paddle 🙂
Really the best part about this t-shirt is that it was pre-worn by my friend.Â I think of her often.Â She lives in Colorado.Â I live in Hawaii.Â She’s a vet.Â I’m a dog trainer.Â She’s such a great friend and sharing the t-shirt is somehow one of those things that seems simple, but is super huge in meaning.Â Mahalo Kim.
The Dog Paddle | Swimming with Dogs in Maui
Dogs don’t always instinctively know how to swim.Â It’s great exercise for them (and for you) just keep in mind if your dog has never swam before you may have to teach the skill.
- Never just throw your dog in.Â Using the sink or swim technique isn’t fair to any dog.
- Lead you dog in the water with encouragement.
- Don’t expect your dog to learn to swim in the first session, just getting wet may be enough.
- Make a game out of it so it’s fun by using toys and treats.
- A dog life jacket for those dogs who aren’t natural swimmers can be very helpful.
- Use support of the mid body with your hand if your dog does not have a life jacket.
- Don’t leave your dog to figure it out on his/her own.
- Watching other dogs swim can be a great tool for your dog to follow.
Get some dog paddle time in.Â It will make wag time for your dog and for you. *if you live in Maui and want some training time on swimming with dogs, contact me.
Got questions on teaching your dog to swim?Â Join my inbox and you’ll get access to all sorts of things dog including swimming, running, cooking for dogs (home made dog food), natural remedies for dogs and ways to resolve itching, scratching and licking.
Jt Clough lives in Maui, Hawaii and practices health, happiness and natural remedies. Her work at ReVIBE | Dogs + Joy + Vibrance is for people looking to live healthier and happier lives through their dogs and her passion for it has helped so many to find and do that thing theyâ€™ve been talking about or wishing to happen for so long. She is a dog whisperer for our best friends and studies natural dog remedies, nutrition and communication. Her latest publications are Pumpkin Dog Food + Treats Recipes and 5K Training Guide | Running with Dogs.